Thursday 16 August 2007

tea party

I am listening to the rain pound on my windows as I write this and smile. My Maddie has been going through a very difficult time adjusting to the lack of friends out here in the UK and has been a mess emotionally. She has been difficult and disagreeable most of the time for about a month now, so today I decided to beat the attitude with kindness instead of frustration.

I told her to bring her dolls down and place them at the table. We then proceeded to make scones together and place them in the oven. She went off to play while I brought out her ceramic tea set and set them on the table at each place, including one for Josiah.
I mixed hot chocolate and milk together and place the pot of "tea" on the table.
When the timer went off we all sat at the table with our scones and cups of "tea" and just giggled.

They thought it was great as Maddie popped in and out of her newly discovered English accent and Josiah kept remarking how, "this was the best tea party ever."

I have won her heart for a brief moment in time, but it has retaught me a valuable lesson...we only have a short time in this life to play with our kids and be silly with them. The moment will be gone soon enough and she will be embarrassed to be with me and play time will be forever over.

So I suppose I am thankful for moments of attitude that help adjust my view on parenting and give me the right perspective again...beat that attitude with kindness and love.

3 comments:

Chad Markley said...

Tiff this sounds like it was so much fun!! This is by far your best post yet. Very personal, real and transparent. I want more posts from you! Love you, Chaddie

Sarah Markley said...

All I have to say is "Would you like a cup of TEEEEAAAA" (remember when Hope would say that...she would have loved to be there with you guys, as would I!)

Williams Family said...

Tiffany I love it!!!! My eyes filled with tears as I read this. Alexis is having a hard time right because all of our closest girl friends have moved away. Moments like this is what makes being a mom the best. They will always remeber this day even if it was for 10 minutes. We miss you all and God Bless and you all are always in our prayers.