Friday 31 August 2007

pack rat


If you walk into my daughter's room you will find in the corner a bunch of ecclectic things: Headless dolls, random clips, lip gloss and lost toys of all sorts. She has taken my body pillow that has lost most of its fluff and has managed to create a sort of covering over these items.
She is a classic pack rat. If I need to find a missing toy I go to her make shift tent. It drives me crazy so I don't look at it often, but it is her own. I need to respect the things she makes her own. To encourage her individual expression in life.
When I do take the time to glance at her "tent" I smile, for I know she will not always have this little corner of goods, and one day her mess won't be there anymore. What will my little "pack rat" become I do not know. But I pray she always remembers that I let her be a little girl with eccentric qualities and a curiosity for life that I need to steer and encourage.

2 comments:

Sarah Markley said...

Sounds like two people I know: your mother and my older daughter. Hope's room has this kinda stuff all over - are they twins?

Tamara Ann said...

That is so me, and you used to clean up my room. I love you and miss you so much! And NOT because I need my room clean to play.